Despite these losses, the Sky still have a talented roster. Azurá Stevens and Kahleah Copper are two of the best young players in the WNBA, and Rebekah Gardner is a versatile scorer. The Sky also have a strong bench, led by Dana Evans and Sparkle Taylor and rookie Kayana Traylor could make an immediate impact.
Mo Money, No Problem 💰 pic.twitter.com/sGAAdF9oYz
— Chicago Sky (@chicagosky) May 13, 2023
The Sky will need to find a way to replace the production of Parker, Vandersloot, and Quigley. Stevens and Copper will need to take on more of a leadership role, and Gardner will need to be more consistent. The Sky also need to find a way to improve their defense.
The Sky are currently +4000 to win the WNBA championship in 2023. They are huge underdogs for a reason and have too much scoring to replace. The Sky does have some talent but only time will tell if it’s enough to bring Chicago a WNBA championship.
Here are some things to keep an eye on for the Sky in 2023:
- Azurá Stevens’ development: Stevens is a rising star who averaged 10.6 points and 3.9 caroms per game in 2022. Stevens is a versatile player who can score from inside and outside. She will be a key contributor for the Sky in 2023.
- Kahleah Copper’s consistency: Copper is a talented scorer who averaged 15.7 points per game in 2022. However, Copper was inconsistent throughout the season. If Copper can be more consistent in 2023, the Sky will be a dangerous team.
- The Sky’s defense: The Sky’s defense was not very good in 2021. The Sky allowed the most points per game in the WNBA and they need to improve their defense if they want to win a championship in 2023.
The Sky are a team with the talent to win a championship, but they will need to find a way to replace the production of Parker, Vandersloot, and Quigley.
Free agent guard Marina Mabrey will be a welcome addition on both ends of the floor but Cooper is the straw that stirs the drink now in Chicago and she will need to step up bigly.
Stevens could also impact the SKY future championship aspirations but there are too many questions about the defense for the Sky to have a legit chance at winning a WNBA championship in 2023.
Where to bet on the WNBA in Illinois
Betting on the WNBA can be a profitable endeavor and to help get you started, IL Betting has compiled a list of each of the seven sportsbooks operating legally in Illinois.
Check out the page and make use of the promos and links to each Prairie State sportsbook.
Tips when betting on the WNBA
Winning WNBA bets isn’t the easiest thing in the world to do and there are several important factors to consider when handicapping a game. Compared to the NBA, the WNBA is a much smaller league without the vast amount of stats available like the NBA offers.
To improve your chances of winning, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Research. Before making any wagers, please research the teams and players involved. This will help you to make better decisions and avoid making bets based solely on luck.
- Pace matters: Pace or amount of possessions a team has per 48 minutes of play. Faster playing teams generally score more points than slower paced teams and this stat is important when deciding an Over/Under wager.
- Stay Sober. Betting while intoxicated is the worst thing a sports bettor can do to ruin their chances of winning.
- Bankroll management: Managing your money is the most important trait of all pro gamblers. Have a financial plan for your betting and never bet more than you can comfortably afford to lose.