Despite their struggles, the White Sox are still in the running for a playoff spot, albeit with +1100 odds. We’ll take a closer look at the team and attempt to determine if they can turn things around and compete for a spot in the postseason.
Despite having the potential to be an above-average offensive team, the White Sox have struggled with consistency and have been plagued by a high number of strikeouts and a lack of walks. Their on-base percentage ranks 14th in the American League, and while they have hit 60 home runs, their offensive WAR is only 13th in the league.
- Luis Robert: Robert is one of the best all-around players in baseball. He is a dynamic center fielder who can hit for power and average. He is also a good runner and a solid defender
- Tim Anderson: Anderson is a dynamic leadoff hitter who is one of the best pure hitters in baseball. He is a switch-hitter who can hit for power and average. He is also a good base runner and a solid defender
- Yoan Moncada: Moncada missed more than half of the season with injuries but is a switch-hitter who when healthy can hit for power and average
- Eloy Jimenez: Jimenez is a power-hitting outfielder who is coming off a season in which he hit 31 home runs and 78 RBIs
- Yasmani Grandal: Grandal is a two-time All-Star catcher who is a decent hitter and a solid defender
- Andrew Vaughn: Vaughn is a rookie who is hitting .300 with 10 home runs and 30 RBIs. He is a good hitter with power and a good eye at the plate
- Andrew Benintendi: Benintendi is tied for the club lead with 54 hits but has yet to hit a homerun with only 19 RBI over 202 at bats
It appears that the White Sox starting rotation, while boasting some impressive talent, has had difficulty performing up to their full potential. Their xFIP ranking is 13th in the American League, and their WAR is 14th. Unfortunately, the rotation has been plagued by too many walks and devastating home runs, preventing them from truly shining both as a group and as individual players.
A story that transcends baseball.
Liam, you are an inspiration to the club, to the fans and to the game. pic.twitter.com/AKAoykI5EI
— Chicago White Sox (@whitesox) May 30, 2023
The bullpen, unfortunately, hasn’t been much better, coming in at 11th in xFIP with the fifth-most holds. However, their 10-blown saves are tied for second-worst in the American League.
- Lucas Giolito: Giolito leads the team in quality starts and is the pitching staff’s WAR leader
- Lance Lynn: Lynn is 4-6 for Chicago with a 1.51 WHIP and team-high 76 strikeouts and 15 home runs allowed over 67.1 frames
- Dylan Cease: Cease has five quality starts and is 3-3 with a 4.88 ERA but has allowed 16 earned runs over his last 27.1 innings of work
- Michael Kopech: Kopech got off to a slow start but has allowed 10 earned runs over his past 30 frames on the bump
- Mike Clevinger: Clevinger has been inconsistent with too many walks followed by home runs and has an xFIP a full run higher than his ERA.
- Kendall Braveman: Leads the bullpen with seven holds and tied with Reynaldo Lopez with a team-high four saves
- Reynaldo Lopez: Lopez has struggled with consistency and leads the ‘pen with four blown saves
- Liam Hendricks: Hendricks is back as closer after returning from cancer and will be a welcome addition to this staff
The White Sox are riding the struggle bus and have dropped six of their previous 10 contests. The pitching is inconsistent and the offense has underperformed thus far this season. More concerning is their -55 run differential but the White Sox are 12-11 against their division rivals and with over 100 games remaining there is always a chance.
Finally, the White Sox are +1100 to reach the playoffs and +1300 to win the AL Central. These are big prices considering the White Sox were +300 to win the division in April. There’s over 100 games remaining on their schedule and while the majority will be played against a division they have a winning record against, the current form is not promising and the White Sox reaching the playoffs is unlikely.
Make sure to give IL Betting a follow for more Chicago White Sox coverage.